Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Brief Update

I must not have been paying close attention to the dates recently, because it’s been quite some time since I’ve posted anything here. “The Orchard” came out in the June issue of The Harrow the other day, and I have to say I’m really excited about it. Seeing my work in print, whether actual print or on a website, paid or unpaid, encourages me to do more. Sometimes, like recently, I find it easy to get caught up in other things and let my writing fall by the wayside. Seeing my own work as if it were that of someone else legitimizes things for me, convinces me to keep going, to type these stories out instead of playing them over and over inside my head for an audience of one.

On a related note, I’ve resumed work on Rain. I’m finishing Chapter Thirteen today. I’m not sure where I’m going with the story but I’m having quite a bit of fun typing it out. I’m sure I’d have a more concrete tale if I were to outline or plan somehow, but aside from the notes file I’ve been keeping (which is really just a glossary of things I’ve already written in previous chapters) I haven’t felt inclined. It’s coming along nicely, though, and it’s keeping me focused.

On the other hand, I’m also still making that run at the 50 Book Challenge this year. I finished #27, Max Barry’s marketing-themed satire Syrup, on May 31st. Right now I’m reading Koji Suzuki’s Spiral, the new Metal Gear Solid novelization (obligatory Eric comment goes here) and a book of food journalism called How to Pick a Peach. I’m staring to become interested in food-themed nonfiction again. I’ve noticed that my interests tend to come and go in cycles.

No comments: