Tuesday, April 28, 2009

More Haiku

Mowing the tall grass
A thousand dandelions
The sea of gold, gone


I’ve been writing a haiku a day or more since I decided to take up the task, but most of them aren’t really all that good. In the coming weeks I should revisit my earlier efforts and clean them up a bit. I picked up a copy of The Haiku Handbook at Barnes yesterday and have been toting it around with me ever since.

It’s odd that I should find an interest in poetry after years of not really caring for it at all. When I was younger I wrote a ton of free verse, from late high school throughout college, but after a few years I stopped. I had been trying to break into short fiction publishing and didn’t really do anything with any of the poems. I’m not even sure if I still have the old poetry notebooks anymore.

I guess we really do return to the things we’ve left behind as we age.

No comments: