Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Not Dead Yet

No, I've just been too busy and/or tired to post. A short update for today will suffice, and longer posts will commence once this is over.

I can see the NaNo finish line where I am right now, just 4300 words away. I'm beginning to freak out a bit, because I'm nowhere near done and in the book No Plot, No Problem! author and NaNo founder Chris Baty strongly suggests participants actually finish their novels in 50k words. It's perfectly fine, he says, to gloss over some scenes to get to the end if you're intending on coming back and fleshing them out during your revision process. This is obviously not going to work for me.

I'm in the middle of stretching out and rewriting Chapter One, and I'll be doing this with Chapter Four as well. I've found that finding your noveling pace isn't as hard as it seems, and rewriting chapters that start off as short stories isn't that difficult, either. What's hard, apparently, is coming to a conclusion. I still have multiple ideas floating around that I might explore during the month of December, but there's no way in Hell I'm going to be able to settle on one and write it by Friday. Not only that but I don't want this ending rushed. I honestly will have an excess of ten to twenty-five thousand words before I get to the end. Plus, to be honest, I'm really looking forward to taking a short break. No doubt my per day word count might go down, but nothing short of an act of God is going to make me drop this and forget about it.

So, will I slow down without the deadline looming over me? Will our author have a finished rough draft? Will she edit it (repeatedly), shop it around to publishers, and possibly write the sequel she's been mulling over?

Tune in next time, I guess.

No comments: